The Missions: San Francisco and San José

Unless the mission is oriented by charity, that is, unless it springs from a profound act of divine love, it risks being reduced to mere philanthropic and social activity...Consequently, being missionaries means loving God with all one's heart, even to the point, if necessary, of dying for him. - Pope Benedict XVI




Fr. Gee’s last blog has shamed me into getting back to “blogging”. When the sense of evangelical poverty is not being lived slightly a skew and the dignity of priesthood is not being denigrated by disgraceful footwear we are most grateful to be getting around in the new Land Rover. The Defender Wagon is a blessing via the good people who support the Propagation of the Faith. This is the highest capacity vehicle that is equipped for our adverse driving conditions. Meaning, it will get its share of a monthly workout moving patients to the hospital, groups from the airport and parishioners to the obligatory diocesan functions. The Td5 Turbodiesel engine is a nice plus too.

Speaking trips, my last one to the mountains has forced me to abandon our secondary mission. Besides, spreading the Gospel and promoting the sacramental life, Fr. Gee and I are both fully committed to riding our motorcycles as much as possible. As I said, this elevated m.o. had to be left high and dry when upon returning from a night spent in the remote village of La Peña I discovered the terra firma that was the road I came in on proved less than firma. I faced a crevasse spanning 20 to 25 feet across and 12 feet deep with a seemingly tranquil stream passing through it. I guess a full afternoon of relentless rain is enough to enrage even the most serene of nature. It is an amazing site. It appears as if the most precise modern tools carved its straight smooth walls. Well, the result was a fifteen minute bike ride back to town climbing about 1,000 feet and a return trip on foot with loaded backpack and Mass kit. That is the only means in and out of town. I’m thankful that I didn’t take the Land Rover into La Peña or there would be a lot of people bumming till November; the next best bet for the bulldozer to pay a visit. Hopefully, there is a quicker remedy for my stranded bike. I’ll keep you posted.




XML

Powered by Blogger



© 2006 The Missions: San Francisco and San José |