The Missions: San Francisco and San José

Unless the mission is oriented by charity, that is, unless it springs from a profound act of divine love, it risks being reduced to mere philanthropic and social activity...Consequently, being missionaries means loving God with all one's heart, even to the point, if necessary, of dying for him. - Pope Benedict XVI


i realized something last night that almost made me zip up my bags and come home:

i folded back the top sheet (no blankets of course) and saw the most frightening thing i think i have ever seen in my life. i stood there in complete horror and shock, paralyzed with fright and overcome with dread. i began to sweat profusely from the internal stress being placed on my body and soul - what i saw you will hardly believe (don't let the kids read this) - the sheet covering the mattress was, and i shiver as i type this, pink with flowers. eventually i came out of my malaise and realized that this is the kind of suffering i will have to do in order to serve God down here in the mission. it took me a while to actually lie down on the bed, but i slept better than i had in a week, so i can only praise God for the graces bestowed upon me.




XML

Powered by Blogger



© 2006 The Missions: San Francisco and San José |